Tuesday, March 2, 2010

pecunia est ars

You may have been deterred when learning the EcoFriendly Foods event at Sonoma restaurant and wine bar in DC had sold out. But missing out is not for me, I was relentless in hunting down seats.

Thank you Bev, I am grateful for your kind inclusion (and thanks to Colin for taking my call in the midst of prepping for congressional hearing).

One of the many highlights of the evening included a slideshow of images “from the farm gate to the plate”, encompassing the mission of EcoFriendly Foods.

Opening the event by sharing his vision, methods and philosophy, Bev started a lively conversation. Questions posed; clarification, illumination, illustration and interpretation ensued. Brilliant facets of scintillating conversation I ignored as the food arrived.

Chef Nicholas Sharpe created a wonderful menu: charming pickled things and bruschetta, a ham dish with a lovely wine. Had I realized this was a starter, I might have been in the running for a clean plate award. Congratulations Mike for your outstanding achievement.

Because I was seated across from a very smart man, I have a signed menu for my scrapbook. Bisous Greg. Chef was only a little shy when the room burst into applause at his appearance, moreover, he generously signed autographs and answered every question.



Bev is testifying to congress this week as to the differences between small and large slaughter facilities and consumer interest in humane slaughter. While you probably didn’t make it to the EcoFriendly dinner, you can still enjoy EcoFriendly meats in the cuisine created at Sonoma. You will have the added benefit of then knowing the difference. And seriously, try the goat.