Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Visiting with Joel

I learned his hogs will soon be enjoying a diet rich in acorns. The thick shade trees covering the hogs paddock will soon release an autumn bounty substantial enough for the proverbial blind pig to find his acorns in ease.

Thanks Daniel!

While following Daniel on his water check through the paddocks (and enjoying the cool breeze caught by those trees), I learned connoisseurs are paying up to $500 for hams made from the meat of such animals. Happily, I’m already a Polyface buying club member and enjoy the same for significantly less.

On this visit I became acquainted with Daniel and Sheri’s younger son, Andrew. He’s a year old and already an inspiration of even-temper and aplomb.

Maybe he comes to this because his father enjoys his labors and the corresponding benefits so conferred (unfairly excerpted from a private conversation on motivations that resonated) and that example is enough. Maybe he’s a farm kid and that role comes with its own composure. I don’t know, but I enjoyed Andrews considered reactions to the inevitable surprises and failures exploration entails.

The Salatin’s have responsibility for managing thousands of acres of forest and pasture in the Shenandoah Valley, and for the care of thousands of animals that populate their farm. Daniel is so clear in his articulation of the benefits he finds in stewardship and husbandry; I am still charmed. Stepping over a large stone to be closer to the hogs, I brushed some aromatic leaves and wondered aloud at the scent.

An exacting tone of politeness noted I was, in fact, standing in the middle of hogs… True, but I hadn’t noticed any but a citrus-y floral note, as I tried to explain… anyway, schedule a tour if you are going to be in the Staunton area of Virginia and would like a refreshing perspective and practical education.

Polyface Farm is not only charming, but the farm is a benchmark in natural, symbiotic agriculture. Joel’s philosophy can be summed up in “mob-stocking herbivorous solar conversion lignified carbon sequestration fertilization”, which I look forward to learning more about on the Polyface Farm Tour (and bbq) in July 2008. Bookmark www.acresusa.com/events -information and details for attendees will be forthcoming.

A leading educator in grass farming; Joel Salatin’s latest book is Everything I Want to do is Illegal. If you know someone who may relate to that sentiment, give it as a gift. But read it first; you will appear thoughtful to the recipient while also having something to think about yourself.